Meet the presenters
MISS JULIE CORNISH
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Julie Cornish is a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon and Senior Lecturer (Hon) in Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Cardiff University, with a specialist interest in colorectal cancer and pelvic floor surgery. She has an active research interest in cancer / pelvic floor, in particular translational aspects and outcomes following in surgery. She went to medical school in Cardiff, University Hospital of Wales, going on to general surgical training in London and Wales and Brisbane, Australia. Julie completed her subspecialty fellowship in pelvic floor surgery in Oxford (OUH NHS Trust) and was awarded an MD from Imperial College, London.
- She is currently the Chief Investigator for POLARiS (Pathway for management of low anterior resection syndrome), POLO (Psychosocial outcomes of emergency laparotomy), and UK lead for NORDIC study (rectal prolapse).
- Previous trials: CI for CLOSE IT (closure of ileostomy timings), AFFINITY (acceptability of faecal transplant for anterior resection syndrome), PARiS (Physiotherapy for Anterior Resection Syndrome) and lead for LARRIS (Low anterior resection syndrome and rectal irrigation).
- Clinical lead for research and development in the Surgical Board, CVUHB
- Pelvic Floor Lead for CVUHB – set up first Sacral Neuromodulation service in Wales and Pelvic Health Hub.
- Research Committee - Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
- Secretary for the Pelvic Floor Society (Exec)
- Chair of Task and Finish Group (Faecal incontinence) and a clinical lead in the Womens Health Implementation Group (WAG)
- Vice President and Trustee of the MASIC (Mothers with Anal Sphincter Injury in Childbirth) Foundation
- Founder of the Welsh Barbers Research Group (trainee collaborative)
MISS ANN CURRY
The Royal London Hospital
Ann Curry is a Clinical Nurse Specialist with over 25 years experience working within the field of colorectal nursing. She has an expert knowledge of colorectal conditions and Functional Bowel disorders and a good understanding of related medical and surgical treatments including diagnostic assessment and patient management.
As a specialist nurse, she is able to provide patients with an individualised coordinated conservative management plan. She has a wealth of clinical and managerial experience working within both the NHS and private sector.
Her professional philosophy centres on setting and maintaining high standards of patient centred care and aiming to achieve clinical excellence.